As a creative agency, we like to keep pulse on design trends. Shutterstock, a technology company providing photos, illustrations and videos to creative professionals worldwide, has identified the following trends for the 2014.
1) Authentic and candid photography. Photos will feature a filtered look and subjects in real-life settings.
2) Simplistic, clean patterns with bright pops of color. Design and imagery will be tailored to local trends and preferences.
3) Flat design elements will dominate on websites and mobile platforms. Flat design is guided by the principles of simplicity and readability. It features flat shapes and icons and with the absence of other design elements like shadows, strokes and gradients.
4) Image searches continue to be driven by topical events. For example, international events like the Winter Olympics and the Football World Cup will provide opportunities for topical images in 2014. Popular searches from 2013 include the following key words: Gatsby, 3D Printing, Make-up Set, International Women’s Day, Responsive Design, Adorable, BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), and Appetizing.
5) Motion graphics will focus on environmental issues. The following video clip categories experienced explosive growth last year: Education, Transportation, Cityscapes, and 3D Renderings.
6) Fonts that appear to be handwritten or sketched will be very popular. Rising style favorites include Geometric, Signage-Inspired, and Analog.
Overall, images shared on social media channels represent what is popular in the world of business and visual communication. Here’s the infographic: